Ahh Jalapeño poppers – probably one of my most favorite stuffed vegetables. What’s not to like? Spicy jalapeno’s, cream cheese and cheddar cheese and bacon all wrapped up into one bite sized treat! Except when you really look at those ingredients, it’s basically lots of fat disguised as a vegetable!
We recently had some friends over for a cookout and I really wanted to make these, so I set out to figure out how to make a less fattening version of them. I’m not usually one to purchase “sugar free” or “fat free” foods, because they are either filled with artificial sweeteners or just taste funny, but the ingredients I chose here really worked out well and the plate of the poppers was gone in a flash!
This recipe is easily doubled (or tripled!) and I recommend it seeing as how delicious they were!
For the Jalapeño Popper Recipe, you’ll need:
8-10 Jalapeños (this varies depending on their size – mine were 3-4 inches in length)
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese (also called Neufchâtel cheese), softened
4 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
Turkey bacon (I love Oscar Mayer brand!). You’ll need 1 slice per jalapeño pepper
Preheat oven to 375*
1. Wash jalapeños, cut off the stem and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the white flesh and seeds if there are any.
2. Mix together the cream cheese and the cheddar cheese.
3. Stuff each jalapeño half with 1-2 T of cheese mixture.
4. Cut bacon in half lengthwise, and wrap each stuffed jalapeño with a slice of bacon. Use a toothpick to secure if needed. I just smooshed it into the cheese mix and it stayed fine.
5. Place poppers on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is warmed and bacon is cooked through. You may want to broil for the final few minutes to get added crispiness.