My husband and I have been wanting to attempt our own version of Pizza Hut’s famous skillet pizzas. I know they’re cooked in a cast iron pot, but if one thing has been engrained in me by my mom, it’s that cast iron pans can not be put into a hot oven. After a little research, we decided that by “pre-cooking” the pizza on the stove top, not only do we get a crispier crust, but it also heats the pan up, which makes it safe to put into an already-hot oven!
This recipe was so ridiculously easy and delicious that I had to share!
1 box of Jiffy Pizza Crust mix (or your own favorite pizza crust mix)
Mozzarella cheese, grated
Toppings of your choice (pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, etc)
Spices/etc (I used basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and parmesan cheese)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375*F
2. Prepare your pizza crust and knead on a floured surface. Roll into a circle about the size of your pan.
3. Pour 2 T olive oil into your cast iron pan (we used a 12″ pan, the Jiffy pizza crust mix was the perfect amount for this size pan), swirl to coat (or use your fingers to spread around the bottom of the pan. I went up the sides a bit as well because I really like that crunch!
4. Gently move your dough into the pan, and press into the pan. I started in the middle and worked my way to the edge, allowing the crust to curl up the side of the pan about a half inch.
5. Top the dough with sauce, cheese and toppings to your liking.
6. Sprinkle the crust with spices of your choice- I used basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
7. Cook pizza on your stove top, on medium for about 5-7 minutes (I put it on the stove while it was still off, turned it on and listened carefully. When I heard it start to sizzle I left it on for another few minutes to continue to cook.
8. Remove from stovetop and immediately place into pre-heated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. *Careful moving the pan- it will be extremely hot.
9. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pan, cutting and serving.